For our final graphic design project, we have to pick a book from the New York Time's best seller list, read it, and re-design a book cover for it using only typography. I choose the book "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain.
Best. Book. Ever!
Hideous cover, but excellent book.
I have been a self diagnosed introvert since middle school and I have been ok with this fact for a long time. I am not a shy introvert, I merely enjoy my solitude over large gatherings, I don't feel the need to be in the spotlight during class, and I certainly don't go out of my way to make sure I'm the most important person in the room. This book really opened my eyes to how ours is the Culture of Personality over the Culture of Character. We need to sell ourselves to get up the social ladder, to remain silent shows insecurity or ignorance. I love how she broke down myth and fact, explained how introverts and extroverts operate, and how it's ok to be an introvert.
In a culture where being an extrovert is the ideal person, being an introvert is challenging. You must converse, excel in conversation, and be social. Shy or distant children are seen as problem children, not in a disciplinary sense, but in that teachers and parents have to shove the children into social situations. Loud and boisterous is seen as confident and outgoing. I have the capacity to be funny and loud, but I usually enjoy quiet zingers and the sidelines to observe. Introverts are also known as "thinkers" and "feelers" which I loved hearing, because I always think and feel more than do and then reflect. I definitely get more into music and film than my extrovert friend, who are constantly seeking the next phase of entertainment. I'm also exhausted after big outings, even if I have a great time. I prefer solace and quiet reflection to constant companionship. I also have a smaller, tighter friend base as to a large sociable group with less connection.
This book explained SO much about myself that I was thrilled and shocked at the accuracy. I used to feel bad about being reserved in certain situations but introverts have many many things to offer and possess many traits that extroverts must work at. See, it's a two way street, both sides must work at being the other in the appropriate situations. It's not just introverts being louder or braver, extroverts need to calm down and think in the right places. I observe and retain a lot of information because I listen to others rather than talk, which builds trust or furthers me along in my studies. I feel deeply so I can empathize.
I don't know why the book made me feel SO good (maybe it's another introvert thing) but I feel better about myself and just better about life in general. Here is to good books and being quiet...
xoxo
Alaine

No comments:
Post a Comment