Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Did you send my mother your clippings?

I am already coming up with a list of New Year's Resolutions that I really want to follow through on. I realize that I am a full two months early, but it's one of those things similar to when people ask you "Where do you want to eat?". You know that there is an unlimited amount of answers but for the life of you, you cannot think of a blooming ONE. So, I decided that I was going to start keeping a tally of possible resolutions now to save from stressing later. I also want them to not be any mainstream resolution like "smile more" or "lose ten pounds"... Really? You should want to do that anyway, these things are going to be unsual but fun resolutions. So here are TEN things that I want to have happen in 2013:

1. Keep a "Memory Jar".

To keep from forgetting everything that happens during the year, I am going to write down happy little things on a slip of paper (Jenna, you can add that to our "slip" tally!) and put it in a jar. After a year of filling this jar with happy occasions, next New Year's Eve, I will open up the jar and read them. This will show me how lucky I am to have a year full of love and fun. 

2. Make an UNBREAKABLE change jar.

I have a change jar. I use my change jar. I ALWAYS STEAL FROM MY CHANGE JAR! I am going to create a one way change jar that is for actually saving money. I will not be allowed to take from my change jar once money is put into it. I am thinking of buying something tall and skinny or something with a narrow lip so that I literally cannot reach in and take any money from it. I know, I know, the easy cheat would be to turn it on it's side but I will police myself and I am never ever ever going to make any exceptions. Ever. AND the glorious part is that in my few times of (kind of) wealth, I am going to put high bills in there for "safe keeping". It's my own personal savings bank right where I can see it grow. Then, at the end of the year, I will get to crack it open and see how much I saved. I hope to treat myself with something that is bigger than just a pop or shirt, like a visit to my sister in Seattle or a really nice present for my family that we can all enjoy together.



3. I can't buy anything or else I will buy everything.

I don't spend money on much because I am a poor rancher's daughter. Jobless. In college. So that makes accruing money particularly difficult. Though I will have a job in the spring, I am a huge fan of it NOT burning a hole in my pocket so my goal is to form a battle plan now so that I can make peace with it by the time January comes around. So far, this is what I have:

-I can go to the bar however many times I want, but can spend no more than $30 a month. (I was going to say lower but drinks are expensive.... Ugh) 
-I can only go out to eat THREE times a month (if I am paying, and I can't go over $30 approx)
-I can buy ONE article of clothing a month (that wont be that bad, I haven't shopped for clothing once this semester... because I am horrible poor)
-I must withdraw a $10 bill and put it in my jar right after getting paid. No if's, and's, or but's. 
-ART SUPPLIES only if neccessary. I like nice things but I don't need 10 fountain pens.

So along those lines. I don't ask good ol' mummy and daddy for a lot but I want to ask even less from them and start offering more.

4. PAINT PAINT PAINT

I have so many canvasses that "I'll get to later".... Umm, when? I could sell them, give them away, do SOMETHING with them but I just never get around to it! I am going to make time to just do something creative for me for once. No grades, to deadline, just me getting my hands dirty in smelly acrylic paint because I'm an artist, dammit!

5. Write letters on a strict rotation.

Yup. G-ma's, sisters, parents, friends. I love writing letters so I'm going to set aside time at the beginning or end of the month and pop of letters to all the people in my life that live out of town. Is this going to be a struggle? Oh yes it is. Life happens and it sucks but that's what calendars and pens are for, to remind me of how sucky I am at communication. Boom.





6. Cook more... and more and more.

Campus living is great.... for the first year. Year three? Less than awesome when you realize you pay for a meal plan you hate. So, instead of buying Taco Bell three times a week, I am going to have one night a month where I spend money and time on a "dorm cooked meal". I will get experience and a happy stomach out of the deal, while cutting back on crap that I don't actually like. So voila! So many good things in one.

7. Stereotypical resolution: Watch less tv, go to the gym more... Or just go period. Ok let's amend this to "Be healthier in any way I can... C'mon just try!".

Ya ya, I realize that I contradict my opening paragraph, but it needs to be said... er, written. I have lost 10 pounds since school started just by eating healthy and power walking to class. Imagine what could happen if I actually tried? Ya, I like the idea of me looking like I actually having abs too. And since I watch waaaaay too much tv anyway, this will help... I hope. It always sounds easier than done but I actually want this to happen this year. I just need to drink more water, work out more, eat healthier, work on being more positive and all that jazz. 

8. Fail more.... Right?

I am not planning on trying cocaine or getting arrested for streaking but I need to take more risks that don't always pan out. I am so scared of not being good enough in so many areas that I am very tentative and timid. I need to get out of my comfort zone more and try things that will help me expand as a designer, person, daughter, friend, etc. So ya, I'm going to fail harder. In the words of my favorite art teacher "You can't have a light without a dark to stick it in". 

9. Cut out the white lies. And the gray ones too. 

I think I'm a very honest person. As silly as it is, I still hear my mom saying "God know's when you're lying" every time I fib. But even I have a problem with those little white lies. I am a pro at the little things like "oh sorry I took so long, parking was terrible" when in fact I just left a little bit late. It really got on my nerves this year. I noticed that my stories were funnier because, oh, look at that, I said something super witty in the moment. Oh wait, now I remember, nope, no I did not actually say that. Whoops. So here is to being boring and even more honest, I hope I stick to this one because white lies aren't actually worth it. 

10. Be open to meeting more people. I mean it, play nice Alaine.





Oh Liz. Yes I love you but I need to not be you... I am a busy person. And I'm not always super open to meeting people. I'm friendly but always in a faux-I'm-busy-so-I'll-be-off-now way. I always think "I have plenty of friends" and "I only have so much time" but how did I meet those people? Through happy happenstance, that's how. Without those, I would be utterly alone. I could miss someone special with my blinders on so tight, so I need to keep my eyes open for any and all opportunities. It will be great! Bring on the wonderful people! 

So yes. Those are my resolutions thus far. And there will be a part two, and maybe even a part three. I can't wait to make them happen! Here's to me being a somewhat better person... Eh. 

xoxo
Alaine

No comments:

Post a Comment